The church is at the eastern end of the village, with Stutton House (built as the rectory in 1750) immediately south of it.
St Peter's is a complex building with many additions.
Nave and chancel are similar in height, the chancel slightly taller. On the south side, the tower acts also as a porch into the nave, and a transeptal south vestry has been added to the chancel. On the north is a transept added to the east end of the nave with the Lady Chapel east of this, alongside the chancel. All is of flint and pebbles, but the north wall of the nave has been rendered and whitewashed.
The nave is 14th century. with cusped Y-tracery windows. The tower is early 15th century. and of flint with Bath stone dressings with diagonal buttresses on the southern angles and an embatttled parapet decorated with chequered flushwork.
The remainder of the church results from various Victorian campaigns. The north transept was added in 1862 to accommodate schoolchildren, and in 1875 the Lady Chapel was added to the east of it. The chancel was rebuilt in the same year. Its three-light cusped intersecting E window is said to be an exact copy of the original, and if so this suggests an early 14th century date. The south vestry dates from 1879 and serves as an organ chamber. It was enlarged to accommodate a bigger organ in 1902. In 1975 the arches separating the north transept and Lady Chapel from the main vessel were blocked with glass panels. In the external east wall of the south vestry is a reset lancet window, 11th-12th century in date, which is the only Romanesque feature of the church.
We are always on the look out for people wishing to learn bell ringing.
Contact the rector: 327141